Saturday, November 6, 2010

Utah Museum of Natural History

A few weeks ago I had the amazing opportunity to hang out with some of my favorite local bloggers and friends. The Utah Museum of Natural History invited us on a tour of the construction site of their new museum.

The day started out bright and early and beautiful. It was a hard hat tour, so needless to say we donned our finest boots, safety goggles and hard hats. We all looked super stunning and fabulous. You want to know what was truly stunning though?

This museum. Breathtaking.

It sits at the foothills of the Wasatch mountains just east of the University of Utah campus. The panoramic view from this space is awe inspiring. Being a photographer, I can appreciate the beauty that my eye sees both from this building and this building itself. It is going to be amazing folks. Amazing.

I may or may not have gotten a little crush on the tour guide. I am sure he is my dad's age, but he was just so handsome and funny and sweet in that 'dad' sort of a way.

Truth be told, a few times a year I try to drag my kids out and up to the current museum. I somehow always talk myself out of it. "Parking will be a nightmare, I can't do Traxx with three kids, yada, yada...". This new museum will have none of those excuses. I am so excited to take my kids there all the time. It will be the perfect venue for my dinosaur/science loving 7 year old. They will even rent out the venue for parties and weddings. (I can't wait to photograph my first wedding there.)

The builders and planners thought of everything, from the coat check at the front door, to the Canyon Room to the walkways that lead you over the canyon. It is just beautiful. Words cannot do it justice, and even though it is a severe construction site, you can get an idea of its grandeur and beauty here.

Seriously though, construction and hard hats run in my veins. I look pretty stunning in this photo with Lindsey don't I?

Utah Museum of Natural History (Hard Hat Tour)

Emily, thank you for this hawt photo, next time tell me to stand up straight. Oh I have such a mighty hump.
P.S. If you don't read Emily's blog, you should...she is one of my most favorite people in this world.

I hope it will geek you guys up as well. Make plans to visit the grand opening, you won't regret it.

Afterward, we all were treated to lunch at the Corner Bakery. The manager was so nice and helpful when it came to ordering. I love sandwiches and always have the hardest time deciding. I went with a BBLT. Double bacon. The world is truly a better place when it comes to bacon in my face, you double that? I am a happy queen. Next time I have a sitter, I am definitely going back. Especially now that there is one by the mall...double bonus.

I am going to leave you with one last shot of myself and my lady friends in all of our glorious orange-ness. I forgot to mention the vest above. So slimming.



***Full Disclosure: I was given the amazing opportunity to see the new museum under construction and was then given a delicious meal with my friends at the Corner Bakery. I was given the opportunity to blog about this experience if I so desired, which I did desire, therefore, here you see me posting about it. I truly hope you will all visit both places in the future, to experience the awesomeness for yourself.***

1 comment:

Emily said...

You make me smile. Every time. And thank you for the mention. You sure know how to make a girl feel special. Oh, and you better invite me to the next Corner Bakery Cafe lunch--love the place!